Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rome

Captured everyone's reactions as we came out of the subway the Coloseo was right there!












The Forum








Reflection of a temple in a puddle in the mud.

Taking a picture of me taking a picture of her taking a picture of me.....










Smoking a pipe. I dont know this guy he was just enjoying himself.

Trevi Fountain


Had Chelsea take these. (For you mom so you can see my face.)  The top one Greg and I are throwing our coins in the fountain to assure our return to Rome.  Also, we ate lunch at the fountain and I really stuffed myself.  I had two pizza style sandwiches which is just thick pizza like crust with meat and cheese.  I can't believe how good the meat is here I tried a new one under the advice of our instructor.  He said his favorite is Spek, which is a tougher saltier prosciutto, and my second choice was salame pecante, which is pepperoni. delicious. Also all around Rome or at least at the touristy spots there are guys selling fresh roasted chestnuts which according to our instructor are eaten after the meal as a palate cleanser but he said locals never buy from those guys but i figured when in Rome... they were great, had to persuade the guy to serve me though as he was in the middle of his own lunch, but after our instructor threatened we would find another vendor if he didnt help us the man was more than happy.  After the chestnuts i finished with a two scoop gelato of mint and coffee.


The Pantheon....Amazing, the pictures just can't do it justice it is so massive you just can't start to comprehend how breathtaking it is.  I didn't take any of the facade because it was covered in scaffolding so it wasnt very aesthetically pleasing. 





Rome was a real good time however we did travel with the whole group so that was the only thing that maybe dampened it.  Being in a foreign city in a group of 50 people is a little overwhelming.  They set us up with an english speaking tour guide and then distributed these earpiece receivers with radio transmitters to attach to our pockets.  After 30 seconds of being in my ear and hearing the drone of  Charlie Brown's teachers voice among static and passing groups tour guides, I decided to take it out and just kind of do my own thing.  The colosseum was pretty amazing as were the forum and trevi fountain, however important it was to see them I found the Pantheon was definitely my favorite.  Also I will for sure have to go back to Rome and just explore some more of the off beat places because I just feel so overwhelmed at the heavily populated tourist hot spots.  I almost feel being at those places like its a fake place, I am more interested in getting at the real culture and happenings of a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment